Mrs. Whitworth's Class - Team 33

Mrs. Whitworth's Class - Team 33
What a good looking group!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tuesday, January 19

The Petro Family is in our Thoughts and Prayers! 
It felt so good to be back with my team today!  The end of last week was just a little too crazy for my tastes.  My daughter sprained her ankle while dancing late Wednesday evening and wasn't allowed to put weight on it all day Thursday, so of course I took off work on Thursday.  She did pretty well Thursday, but was in severe pain Thursday night due to a problem with the splint, so I took Friday off and took her back to the doctor.  He got everything fixed up and now she is doing much better.  Just needs crutches for about a week and several weeks of taking it easy at dance.  

Today it felt like forever since I had seen my TEAM33 friends and my heart was immediately warmed with all their smiles and hugs. (I still say there isn't a better job out there!)  As happy as I was to see the team, it was still a sad day for TEAM33.  Early this morning, with Brody's permission, we shared the sad news about his mom and our friend, Mrs. Petro.  Mrs. Deeter shared an insightful book and then we allowed the students to just talk about how they felt.  The kids did a great job of recognizing sadness and the symptoms of sadness as nervous, angry, sleepy, lonely, and yes even hungry. We gave each other permission to be sad.  Through the conversations there were many tears and lots of laughter. To be in the room was an honor as they wrapped Brody and each other in love. As the instructional day continued various students would approach me with questions and stories of their own connections to death.  I am sure that many more questions and thoughts will arise as students have time to process through the evening.  I encourage you to please have a conversation with your child about their thoughts and feelings of the day. If you or your child are in need of any additional resources, please do not hesitate to contact myself or Mrs. Deeter.

For anyone interested, the details of the visitation are listed below, along with a link to the obituary sent to me by Mr. Petro.  As a team I would like to send flowers, and get Brody a memory blanket from the class. In the obituary it also mentions two organizations that are accepting donations in her name. If you are interested in contributing to a class gift, feel free to send money in tomorrow.  Whatever money is collected will go towards flowers, a blanket, and hopefully a sizable donation to the Johnson County Humane Society.  It is also fine if you are unable to contribute or wish to contribute individually. 

Service Arrangements:
Wednesday from 4-8 at Swartz funeral home in Franklin will be her viewing.
Thursday starting at 10:30 will be her burial.
Virginia R Petro - Obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment